Saturday, October 25, 2008

Mixed Signals



Have you ever gotten a mixed signal? Maybe from a guy, your boss, the clerk behind the counter? Well, I just got one from New York. I’m not kidding… check out the photo. This street light is really indicative of what New York really is-a City of contradiction. I just spent a good 48 hours in New York for a conference and so I feel incredibly confident in making the following conclusions:


-The buildings are gorgeous... or are they? This was the view from my 4th floor $455/night room. Did I mention room service charged $28 for eggs and bacon.




-I thought I had the world’s smallest kitchen in my $640/month all utilities included apartment in Madison… turns out I was wrong. New York apartments are 5 times as expensive (literally) and they have kitchens five times as small.

-New York garbage days are gross…. They are surpassed only by Venice garbage days where the garbage actually stacks up on the sidewalk and spills over into the water. I actually saw a rat swimming along a gondola… pretty romantic, eh?
-New York is definitely not the City that never sleeps.... despite rumors to the contrary. Being that I had a $55/day per diem, I decided to head to Laguardia airport early to treat myself to a nice dinner for all of my hard work. I got there at 8:15pm for a 9:40pm flight. Turns out every restaurant was closed and so I got to eat Burger King.... Let me tell you, ten bucks got me real far. Just a little f-u from the City that never sleeps.

No comments: