Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Why I am over wanting to date George Clooney and now just want to be him

It is quite possible that I am the last to realize this but, George Clooney has got it made. He has a successful career (note- this post is not about how great it would be to be a hollywood star because quite frankly, I think that is arguable. His success, however, is key), homes around the world (ok, maybe just Lake Como and LA, but still), great friends, and inappropriate girlfriends (ok, had). Some of you may be saying that I am leaving out one very important trait- his deliciously good looks. I don't think it is those big brown eyes that got him here, I think he just has his priorities straight, knows what he wants, and doesn't apologize for it. It is for these three reasons that I want to be him.

First of all, he knows he doesn't want to get married or have kids, and he doesn't apologize for dating women that aren't trying to marry him or get knocked up (or they are completely delusional). I am hoping that his stand on legal coupling lightens things up for others out there (ie, moi) choosing the same path.

Perhaps it is my deep-rooted oppositionalism hard at work but I think marriage is silly. Granted there are perks-- tax breaks, insurance, and that whole allowed in the hospital past visiting hours thing. Those perks do not out weigh the costs for yours truly.

Since the percentage is now higher than 50, I'm gonna use the term 'most'. Most marriages end in divorce. Add up the cost of the divorce and the elaborate weddings people are planning these days (since it will now be for not) and I guarentee it is higher than the tax breaks, cost of insurance, and bail (from assaulting the nurse to stay late, of course).

I fully applaud my friends who are getting married (by the boat load). I equate my choice to not pursue this just like my choice to not pursue religion, the multiplication tables, telling time, and tying my shoes. Ok just kidding (kind of) about everything past religion. I am not any less moral because I don't subscribe to organized religion. And that is exactly what this is about- this is about the fact that something must be wrong with me if I don't want it. George and I beg to differ.

I simply want the freedom to do what I want, when I want. Doing whatever, whenever, has nothing to do with ignoring other's feelings or being inconsiderate... at least not for me. It does mean that if I want to jet off to Lake Como with a 25 year old cocktail waitress (er, waiter), then damnit, I will, so don't judge me.

George does plenty philantropic deeds to get people off his tail and I have gotten the message loud and clear. I am now a dontaing member of Feed the Children. It may only be 40 bucks a month, but you can't get a seat on the board overnight.

About that success of his. I get that his freedom comes from being insanely financially secure. I am shooting for that myself (slowly but surely) so I can squash the argument that it is economically in my best interest to couple off. (Perhaps the most annoying argument I've heard. I am SO not a femme-Nazi but come on, since when do we need a man ladies?? Que the Pussycat Dolls.)

If I do decide to spend any considerable amount of time with somone, there won't be a clock ticking that says I need to get married and procreate. Here's why: I am simply missing that gene. Never the girl to dream of my wedding or being a mommy. Instead I used to have nightmares about both. I've never been into doing what everyone else does. I figure, what's the point? They've been there and done that and good or bad, I have gotten a front row seat.



And so I am. Doing something different. I'll be the first to admit this all may change. If it does (cringe) and you can prove that I am not under the influence while choosing this life, I will cheers you in all your righteousness. Until then, I'll just be me.

-Luci

No comments: