Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Target: An Avid Consumer's Reflection in Three Parts

The Good:

Oh, Target. How I love thee. You are always there when I need to wander aimlessly with a cherry slushy and comparison shop for grout cleaner. You provide every essential for that new hobby I didn't know I just couldn't wait to start. When I get the itch to redecorate, you're always there with suggestions at a reasonable price. When things couldn't get better, you go and out do yourself with Target Greatland. Now, not only can I buy more than one single girl could every need of paper goods, Isaac Mizrahi clothing, and potting soil-- I can get my groceries too! Just when the excitement of Target Greatland began to wear off, you introduced the Dollar Spot and knocked me off my feet. It's like you read my mind when I was searching endlessly for Cinqo de Mayo themed tiki torches. And for that, I want to thank you.

The Bad:

While you were an innovator in the returns department when you introduced the 'receipt look-up' using the credit card used to purchase, your success stopped there. Why, why, why? Why do you make online customer print out another receipt from their online account? Why can't I walk into a store to return an online purchase and receive the 'no questions asked' service I have come to expect from your competitors and contemporaries? It is a nuisance at best and the straw that broke the camel's back at worst. I have seen many a customer 'lose their shit' on your customer service representatives because of the hoops that you make us, your loyal customers, jump through. Do you not reciprocate our un-dying devotion and admiration? Does our business not keep the lights on and the employees paid?

The Ugly:

I bought seven silver clutches for Djo-djo's recent nuptials for the Bridesmaids. While I was more than happy to do my duty, Target has made things horrendously difficult. I bought the clutches online (first mistake) and had them shipped to her. They didn't quite work for the wedding and, alas, had to be returned. Attempts were made in-person to make this return, online, and through the US Postal Service. Finally, it was time to use the phone. They assured me that the return was processed and that it was my creditor's fault for not returning my money. The weinus that I spoke to neglected to tell me that Target made the executive decision to give my online account a credit instead of my credit card. (Note: they didn't even credit my account for the total) Is Target so desperate for business that they manipulate returns to keep the revenue in house? Pathetic. When I called and corrected this situation, I only received a credit of 50 bucks and the other 50 (please note the total was over 100) was being held by the 'Fraud Investigation Team' for review. ARE YOU FING KIDDING ME? Yes, that's right, I am attempting to rip-off Target and am willing to deal with their UN-TRAINED, INCOMPETENT customer 'service' reps to do so. Puh-leese.


Final Plea:

Come back to me Target. The boycott hasn't even begun and I miss you immensely. Saturday errands will be lonely without but like any good consumer, I will soldier on. Stop treating me like I am out to get you and respect the fact that I spend my hard-earned pay check (sadly, sometimes all of it) in your stores. I promise to do my part and cease online shopping until you can pull yourself together. Please do yours and celebrate your customer instead of treating them like you are doing them a favor.

-Luci

No comments: